I am amazed at the hours it is taking me to go through my closet. If you decide to attempt this challenge be aware it will take you several days if you have a stuffed full closet. Over the long weekend I think I gave it 5 + hours. This did include multiple interruption from my silly boys. AND I am still NOT done.
Working on making it happen.
I have filled 4 containers of various sizes of 1) the clothes I want to keep after the challenge, 2) ones that don’t fit right now, and 3) seasonal items. There is also two large shopping bags FULL ready for the next “Switch & Ditch“. I should count the actual number leaving my closet forever. (Side note, I never did get a full count but I am still pulling clothes out)
So much stuff! Just 2 of the bins I filled.
Lastly, I am really working the mix and match angle I love so much. Really figuring out which pieces I truly enjoy wearing and the maximum number of looks I can get out of them. I really want all my outfits to represent me and not just an “easy way out”.
Here are the bags that left forever… oh! and a box of 10 pairs of shoes.
Good bye, forever.
Have you taken an assessment of your closet? How is that going?
I’d like to share that I fully intended to have this challenge in place and “working it” January 1st. I didn’t, however, take into account… Christmas and all the fun activities that we do during that time. ugh…
Now my goal is to have everything in place February first and begin posting an outfit a day on my Facebook page and a weekly review here. What is the 40 Hanger Challenge? Several months ago I came across a blogger who did this for her closet. She cleared out her closet and only kept 40 hanging items. She did this for a year. If something came in another item had to leave. Made her really think about what her fashion personality and needs were. It has been mulling around in my head all this time. Could I really do that? Do I even WANT to do that. Then I thought about a few of my clients. While I am a clothes horse my clients who truly just want a few key pieces need to KNOW I really can achieve that for them.
At this time I am not planning on staying with just 40 for more that just the month. I do plan on downsizing as the shear number is just silly and truly I want pieces I love, of quality and I fit into. My husband was happy to hear this, as it seems I have taken over some closet area that was suppose to be his 14 years ago. oops…
In the mean time… here is where I am at:
Counted the number of hanging clothes I actually have in my closet. (over 300 OMGosh!) No this doesn’t count what’s in my dresser.
Found 40 PURPLE hangers to use.
Purchased a container to store the clothing not being used in the challenge and started filling it. I have purged a few items along the way. (yea, me!)
What does 40 purple hangers look like?
40 Purple hangers and the space hubby wants back.
Now to decipher the ratios of pants, tops, jackets, etc… February in Arizona can range from 40* to 80*. I am also contemplating how I want to apply this concept to shoes and accessories, eeek.
I don’t know about you but last year was a challenge. I had big plans and feel like I fell short on all of them. One of those being this blog. I like to share my thoughts with you but it was difficult to truly find the time among all the craziness of my life.
So, I shall start again. Make my plans and see what happens. I hope you’ll join me on this journey of faith, fashion and family.
I’d like to share one goal with you for now. I have decided to accept Jon Acuff’s#empytshelf challenge for 2014. I emptied a shelf and have started reading at least 10 pages a day. Now this is a BIG DEAL as reading with 2 boys running about is not, shall I say, easy. So here is my shelf.
The start of a New Year.
This is the first book to go on my shelf. Yep, I already read one book!! Woot! And I highly recommend this one. It is a fast read and great teaching on relationship marketing.
40 Hanger Challenge – More on this later as I am going to blog my way throughout the challenge from start to finish.
Couch to 5K – I am not sure how I really feel about this one as I have always said if I am running you know someone/thing is chasing me. With that said the concept keeps stirring in my heart so I thought let’s see what happens.
Would you like to join me on one of these goals? What are you reading?
I have been trying to “theme” the photos to make more cohesive content as I blog the photos, but it looks like the last two photos for May are going to be random. If you are actually counting the days of the month you may have noticed that one day is missing. For some reason I couldn’t get it to post. It was the 19th (a favorite place). My favorite place is Paris, France. The photo was taken by my husband. I wish I could show you. When I figure out how to make it post I’ll share it with you. In the mean time, here is the last of May.
23. Technology I married into Apple/Mac. Hubby even calls himself iPat and the boys are mini and nano. lol.
Technology – Apple
26. 12 o’clock Sweet P and I went to a 3rd Birthday party of a friend. It was Mickey Mouse themed. She did a crazy awesome job. Mickey shaped food, water bottles with Mickey on them, color theme (black, white red and polka dots), banners and more. I wish I could have gotten more photos but I was running after a silly 2 year old.
12 o’clock – Partying Birthday Style
Yeah, now I get to catch up on June. Have a wonderful day!
It is said that learning new things keeps your mind working and staves off Alzheimer’s. Good thing as I need all the brain cells I can get. I have two stinkin smarty boys who keep me on my toes and a history of Alzheimer’s in the family. 2012 must be a year of learning. I am learning to blog (still working on it), I have learned several new apps, and some new business tools. We are just half way through the year, wonder what’s next.
Today I wanted to share a new app I have been playing with, Pic Stitch. It is a free iPhone app. It allows you to photo “block” your pictures into one pic. Kinda cool. I had been seeing many of my instagram friends (also a new year learning thing) using something like this and wanted to figure it out. My awesome niece lead me to the app and history is made. 🙂
Here’s a quick how to. Super easy you don’t really even need me to show you but I am pretty proud of myself for figuring it out. I used it for May 28 photo a day
28. Weather Rain Dance (the end result) Sweet P was dancing in the living room as it was just to hot to go outside. When he grabbed the maracas it reminded me of a “rain dance”.
Weather – Rain Dance
When in Pic Stitch you’ll have some options to choose from on how many photos and the shape/layout you want. I started with these three photos.
You can edit them right within the app, cropping changing the lighting you can even add silly stickers if you want. Haven’t tried that one yet myself but my hubby has a super funny one he did. Since I added the writing on with another app I saved this layout and added the words. I do believe that Pic Stick has a word option… still learning. 🙂 When you upload to Instagram you can still play with the lighting.
Have you ever just had so much on your plate that you’ve had to step back for a bit, even from something you enjoy? I have still been taking the photo a day challenge but needed to get some other things taken care of before I jumped back into this part of my silly blog. I am still in catch up mode. I may be from here on out. Who knows. 🙂
22. Kitchen Sink I really really did not want to photograph my kitchen sink. Most of the time there is something in it, like, oh, dishes. Even after I get all the dishes washed not five minutes later there is more. UGH! Here you have my sink with Pasta in a colander. One of my boys favorite meals AND one of the messiest.
Sink - with pasta
25. Breakfast Yes, we have the breakfast of champions at my house. The boys have really been in to crunch berry cereal or waffles with juice or milk. Of course they have to be on colorful plates, bowls and cups.
I am skipping around a bit today as all these photo are related to my children. AND I want to do a separate post about day eleven. Crazy how many things I can relate to my children. I try not to do to many so I can have some diversity but there they are and all the things related to them. 🙂
10. LOUD The little guy is loud on sooo many levels. He is still learning what an inside voice is. But he has always been loud, even as an infant. I think I may have even lost a bit of hearing in my left ear from this kiddo. But my favorite time when he is loud is when he is belly laughing. So here you have it a LOUD belly laugh photo. Maybe I’ll do a video sometime just so you can hear it. You’ll end up laughing right with him
LOUD - Laughter
12. Fork This set was a gift to my big boy. It is a great boy gift. I am sure some girls would like it to but I know my boys really enjoy it. I like the play on words. “Fork – LIft”
13. A Sign il bambino dorme – We found this sign before our first baby was born. My hubby is part Italian and it just fit for us. It was nice to use if we had guest over to remind them that a baby was sleeping behind that door. I have even used it on the outside door. We rarely use it anymore as we no longer have babies. We have big boys.