After shopping with a few clients these past couple of weeks I have decided to give you the top 5 things to do, be it shopping with a professional like me or shopping by yourself.
- Know what’s in your closet. This small piece of advice will save you so much time and money. Why? When you know what you have it is easier to mix and match and keeps you from over doing it on say, black pants or whatever you obsession.
- Shop for FIT not size. We have become a “size tag” obsessed society. “I should buy it because it says I’m a smaller size…” No, you should buy it if the garment makes you LOOK a size smaller. Fit the larges part of your body then alter to make it custom for you. Example, if you have fuller hips find pants, skirts and shorts that fit you best around the hip. Then have the waist taken in so there’s no gap.
- Buy it only if it will go with 3 other things in your closet. NO, not in your cart, in your closet. This does 3 things… makes you “know” what is in your closet, keeps you from over spending, and forces a little more mix and match. Get creative.
- Wear nice undergarments. You might be asking yourself “why?” whose going to be seeing me try on these clothes. If I am going with you, I will see you. But more importantly when we wear undergarments that fit well, we feel good and our clothes fit better. By the way, just wear white or nude. Nothing distracts like a black under white.
- Try everything on. I can hear you now… “yeah yeah I know but I just popped in and didn’t have time.” The challenge is, if you didn’t have time to try it on there how much more time do you have when you get home. If it doesn’t fit you now have to find time to take it back. I have so many clients who still have clothes in their closet with tags that don’t fit properly and didn’t or can’t take them back for whatever reason. Wasted money, space and time. Don’t guess, try it on.